Saturday, June 22, 2013

First Annual Art Show

My co-worker Natalka and I gathered our art projects from the past year and set up the gym for our First Annual Art show. Natalka teaches art to the English kiddos from grades 4-8 and I teach the French Immersion art from grades 3-8. We organized the gym by Elements of Design (Line, Shape, Texture, Space, Colour, Value), labelled the work and invited parents and students to enjoy the artwork. We were so pleased as to how it all turned out and had fantastic feedback.

Screen Shot 2013-06-21 at 11.42.20 PM

The majority of my ideas came from my schooled: art pinboard or projects that I did myself in elementary or high school or for fun. We used pencils, markers, pastels, crayons, glue, magazines, paint chips, gesso, wire, pantyhose, charcoal, found items, recycled items, paint, foil, sticks, pop cans, exacto knives and clay to create our projects. Some students created Facebook profile pages of famous artists and created art like them. My class created a giant colour wheel of found objects.

We also created a collaborative installation, where each student illustrated a pair of eyes. We compiled them together with the title "If these walls had eyes" - representing the eyes of aboriginal students of residential schools.

Screen Shot 2013-06-22 at 1.00.59 AM

I am so fortunate to teach visual arts. It is definitely one of my passions. I am excited for more projects next year. I am also excited to add more of a social justice inquiry twist to the intermediate projects, start sketchbook projects with my juniors, give kiddos a greater choice of materials and create more collaborative projects within and between classes.

art long range planning

No comments:

Post a Comment